Monday, June 22, 2009

Remembering the joy through the nausea.

It's been hard the past week to remember that all the nausea, gas, bloating, and constipation is because we are finally pregnant, but I'm trying. I did a prenatal yoga DVD last week, and I was crying at one point because it was talking about connecting with the baby at different points in the practice. It hit home to me, through the fatigue and farts, that I had a little life growing inside of me. As I write this, I'm reminded again.
Our baby is about the size of a blueberry right now, and my uterus is twice it's size since I conceived! I couldn't believe that! I'm feeling a little...well not heavy, but definitely that there's something more in my abdomen area. I'm not showing yet. Like most healthy women I already had a little bump before I got pregnant. I'm excited and yet nervous about starting to show. I've worked so hard to lose weight and be healthy, it's been really hard to mentally handle eating six to seven times a day to stave of nausea and an empty stomach.
I gotta tell ya, our little Tigger is an eater! She/he blows through food like nobody's business!
But I'm choosing healthy options, even as my body is craving the breads, potatoes and pasta's I kept so in check the last four years. I'm giving myself some leeway with it, but choosing whole grains whenever I can as opposed to white flour and trying to learn how to make vegan mashed potatoes since they don't have all the butter and cream of regular mashed.
I'm making myself walk about a mile a day, even if I can't work up the energy to do my yoga daily. My cardio DVD's are way too exhausting right now. Walking is easy because Gracie needs to be walked, and she needs a good thirty to fourty-five minute walk in the afternoon. She's been funny the last few weeks. She doesn't follow me around as much as she did, but she's definitely more attentive throughout the day.
I'll learn how to balance the nausea with remembering why I've got it in the first place; and being grateful for it too. It's a good sign. And when it goes away I'll be so glad!
I'm still laughing and smiling, though belly laughs are out of the question for now!

1 comment:

  1. when i was pregnant i craved ice, thats all. Now I know that that is a sign of iron deficiency!! I ate very little red meat and my doctor told me (very loudly) NOW IS THE TIME TO EAT RED MEAT! LOL I didnt want to, I thought it was unhealthy, but i became iron deficient very quickly because you cannot eat the way you do when you dont have a baby growing in there! So get enough iron, and take your vitamins! Also the way to grow a good baby brain is to eat some good fat. You know the avocado and olive oil kind, but a little butter is not terrible.
    Anyway, I am absolutely THRILLED to give you baby advice, LOL but you know your body best.

    Oh and you know what, I had morning sickness throughout my whole pregnancy with both of my kids and they say the worse it is, the healthier your baby is, so its a good sign!

    ReplyDelete