Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book #12: "Brain Rules for Baby"

"Brain Rules for Baby" by John Medina is one of the best parenting books I've read so far.
Dealing with something as complex and nebulous as the human brain can come across dry and far too academic, but Medina breaks down the complex information and studies to a lay-man's level. Simply organized, with often funny stories from his own parenting journey, it's a book that anyone can learn from; even if your kids are older than five.

He talks about what makes a child smart and happy. He breaks these down by talking about the genetics (nature) and the parenting atmosphere (nurture) that leads to success in each.

I found it amazing that the core of Medina's book could be found in "Happiest Toddler on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. Karp's book felt disorganized and a bit overwhelming in comparison to Medina's but Karp broke down strategies for getting the desired results more than Medina does; I would have to say this is my only criticism and frustration. Medina lays out some very convincing and wonderful knowledge about how children's minds develop and why, but often I was left with "Yes but HOW?"

I believe that it's never too late to adjust how we do things, to constantly learn and change. That's why I would recommend this book to any parent who has children at any age; even those who may not be parents but who have constant contact with children such as teachers, nannies, daycare workers, grandparents, etc.

I borrowed the copy I just finished but will buying a copy from Amazon ASAP because I know this is a book I will want to refer back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment