Monday, January 24, 2011

Book #3: "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" By Stieg Larsson

I do not know how to feel about this book. At one point I was convinced I would only give it two stars; at another point I wanted to give it five. Now...I may have to settle for three.

I do not read many mysteries, they tend to bore me. But "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson had made such a huge stir in the book community I had to read it.

The first 200 pages of this book was more exposition than anything else. The tone was very much like a detective in an emotionless voice relating events. We're introduced to most of the major and some of the minor players. And the information that's related seems unconnected. It was the curiosity of how in the world these disparate things fit together that kept me reading. That and I'm a stubborn reader.

At about page 200 things exploded. The book suddenly became an addiction. No, a NEED. I had to keep reading, I looked for any moment to turn on my nook and read at least a page. I read about 150 pages in two days.

Once the mystery was solved, however, I still had about a hundred pages left of the book. What was left?

Well, here's where the star rating drops.

Remember how many people felt that the movie "Return of the King" was the movie that wouldn't end? Well, this was the book that would never end. I'm trying very hard not to spoil anything, but there's a sub plot that they take the last hundred or so pages to resolve. It's a great resolution, but it takes far too long to get there.

The two main characters are complete opposites. Kalle Bloomkvist and Lisbeth Salander. Of the two, Salander is the most interesting and is the girl from the title. She's got lots of secrets, and I have a feeling only a few are revealed in the book. Salander is one of the most interesting female protagonists I've read in a long time.

Bloomkvist is a financial journalist who's hired to solve the 50 yr mystery of a missing girl. It was very creative and organic when the two finally met and started working together; but it was frustrating that it took as long as it did to get them into the same scene. The book ended by leaving the relationship between these two in an annoying cliffhanger.

It's a dark book, and there were times I put it down because there was a definite creepy factor. But if you read mysteries and thrillers this is something you're probably used to.

All in all, would I recommend this book? Yeah I would. Especially if you like this genre. I am tempted to read the next book because I have to know what happens to Salander, but I need a break and will be reading the first in the Foundation series next.

Book #3 down, 47 left! It's a good start to the goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment