Friday, March 18, 2011

Book #10: Star Wars: Heir to the Empire

"Star Wars: Heir to the Empire" by Timothy Zahn was a pleasant surprise. I had started this book way back when it was fairly new and had never finished it. Now, I have a bit more patience with the tecnho-speak and lack of romance than I did then.

This book stays true to the tone and feel of the movies, particularly in regard to the relationships of Han, Luke and Leia. The author even goes so far as to use bits of well known dialogue from the movies, especially when writing Han. The action is fast paced and the story has a really nice flow from one problem, place or plot point into another. I would have to say I'm a little jealous with how seamless this book is since I know my soon to be finished novel (crossing fingers, knocking on wood and making all appropriate sacrifices to the Muses) does not have that kind of finesse. It's obviously something born out of countless hours spent reading and writing, and I will continue to strive for it as long as I live.

The ending is appropriate to a Trilogy with a conclusion that is both satisfying and leaves the story wide open for the next two books.

No complaints really...which I have to say doesn't happen that often for me. I'll grab the next books in this series this year but not right away. The next fiction book for me will be by Robin Hobb and is the first in her Farseer Trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment