Monday, March 7, 2011

Book #9: Star Wars Fate of the Jedi: Outcast

So I took a chance on a Star Wars book, and it wasn't half bad.

Star Wars Fate of the Jedi: Outcast is not too heavy on the tech of Star Wars, more character driven and is easy to jump into even if you've never read any of the other books; which I haven't.
There are three main story lines: Luke Skywalker and his son Ben looking for reasons why Leia and Hans son Jacen turned into a Dark Lord of the Sith; Leia and Han helping Lando on Kessel; and Jaina Solo and the rest of the Jedi trying to keep the Order afloat in the face of Government persecution while attempting to discover why some Jedi are becoming criminally insane.

There were points where at least one of the storylines lagged, but it quickly picked up and made for a page turner; I finished the book in a week which is amazing considering how little time I have with Rosalind running around attempting to pull on the TV, lamps, the stove...you get the idea.

There was a bit of the histrionic about the story, considering that pretty much all the major characters had been "grieviously tortured" at one point or another in the dozen or so books written, and that (SPOILER ALERT!) Lukes wife, Chewbacca, Jacen Solo and Anakin Solo (the two sons of Leia and Han) all died at some point in this long storyline. I don't have a problem with death and torture happening to the main characters, but it comes across a little too...Operatic.

I would love to read more, but I think I'm going to go back to much earlier in the books and read the Timothy Zahn book "Heir to the Empire". It happens only a few years post Return of the Jedi and was good enough to garner praise from both my husband and Todd; two men with discriminating tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment