Thursday, June 16, 2011

Book 17: Ain't she sweet

So I took a radical detour from my heavily cerebral reading list and read a romantic comedy. I was taking a chance since my last foray into the Romance genre ended in disappointment and wasted money. But "Ain't She Sweet" was delightfully good. It had the best aspects of most romantic comedies with truly interesting characters that had dimension; unlike the few Romance novels I tried and failed to read.

Popular and beautiful Sugar Beth has had three husbands, and is coming back into her hometown after leaving a trail of hurt and anger a mile wide. She's also flat broke and her childhood home is now owned by the teacher she wrongfully accused of sexual misconduct.
Needless to say everyone wants revenge. But Sugar Beth has learned some hard lessons since leaving her hometown, and has come back stronger, though much more gun shy of personal relationships.

In some ways it was predictable, especially if you're a fan of rom-com's, but in other ways it was a pleasant surprise. The way Sugar Beth repaired some of her relationships, the turn her love affair with our male protagonist took and the richness of the supporting characters was all a nice departure from the romance novels I've read in the past.

I highly recommend this, especially if you're in the mood for a book you can just zone out to.

No comments:

Post a Comment