Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Swing and a miss, Buffy's back.

My plan to write a weekly segment about "Buffy" was interrupted by a horrible stomach bug and my seven year old niece coming for a visit.

But I also realize that doing recaps may be a bit boring, I mean if you're reading this you probably already like "Buffy" and have seen most, if not all, the episodes. So, I've decided instead to just talk a little about the episodes I've watched and my impressions, fun facts, etc.

One thing I've noticed about Joss Whedon is that he uses the same actors over and over. And this isn't limited to the main characters either.

The actor that played The Judge in "Surprise" and "Innocence" in season two, played a main vampire minion of The Master in the first two episodes of season one.

The actor that plays a psycho vampire in season two's episode "Helpless" also plays the infamous "Raff" in season six.

The actress that portrays William's pre-vampire crush in season five's "Fool For Love" episode plays Anya's vengeance demon gal-pal Hallie. (A fact that is played up in season six when Dawn wishes everyone won't leave the house and Spike sees her. It's a nice "Yes we know, we know" moment from the producers.)

And the one that I missed until just recently: The actor that portrays the geek Andrew in Season six and seven played one of Harmony's vampire minions in season fives "The Real Me" episode.

There's some cross overs from other Wheddon shows; such as a "Firefly" actor playing an ex classmate of Buffy's who has been sired by Spike in season seven's "Conversations With Dead People". The actor was a guest star in one of the last "Firefly" episodes and is one of my favorite Whedon supporting actors.

Season two has one of the scariest (for me anyway) episodes: "Killed By Death". I made sure to watch during the day time but I was still clutching the pillow and cringing. There's just something about that episode that's too close to my childhood nightmares and fears.

The episode "Passion" is probably one of the best in terms of how hey told the story, in my opinion, but "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" is one of my favorites in this season. And in "I Only Have Eyes For You" David Boreanaz's performace inspired Whedon to do the spinoff series "Angel".

Season two wraps up, of course, with the nearly simultaneous curing (by Willow) and killing of Angel by Buffy. It must've just KILLED anyone watching the show at the time to be faced with an entire summer of waiting to see if Buffy would return to Sunnydale and if Angel would ever come back; I know I would've been swearing at the TV if I had been a fan then.

A real quick shameless plug for the new web series I am in called "The Collectibles." You can find us on FaceBook, and since I know you'll love the show when it airs, please "like" us. More news to follow about when and where you can view this hot new show.

No comments:

Post a Comment