Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A better relationship

So, losing the baby weight is hard! It took me several months to rethink eating in general, including portion size and the fact that no, I shouldn't have heavy carbs in every meal. ( I got really used to eating mac 'n' cheese, brownies, frozen yogurt and PB & J sandwiches on whole wheat)
Now it's still not easy, but I tend to only do "bad" eating when I'm in serious need of comfort food.
Like tonight for instance.
I controlled myself all day, even going for a walk though I had bad...girlie pain (enough said). But tonight nothing would do except a corned beef sandwich from Geraldine's Counter. This is possibly the ultimate comfort sandwich (at least for me): Beef Brisket thin sliced, gruyere cheese, on fresh baked rye bread with an interesting sauce (I also put spicy mustard on it if I get it to-go). I get it with a green salad, because I need to assuage my guilt somehow.
(Geraldine's Counter also has the BEST biscuits I've ever had, except for my mom and grandmothers; I mean these things are a meal unto themselves and I would crave them non-stop when I was preggers.)
I try to give myself some breathing room, realizing that losing this baby weight could take a little while. I've done pretty good, and am closer to my pre-pregnancy weight, but it feels sooooo slow! I want to get back there soon, but I'm trying to give myself room to splurge when needed.
But I gotta say I'm impatient.
I've always had a complicated relationship with food, and I really want to change that before Rosalind is old enough to understand why mommy worries over the calories in a can of non-fat refried beans. I want her to have a better relationship with her body and with food and health than I have.
Don't get me wrong, my mom did the best she could to instill a love for my body and understanding of how to eat healthy, etc. It's just as the years have gone on, it's become more and more difficult to accept healthy as good looking; do you know what I mean?
I want to be healthy, not ubber thin, not "Hollywood" thin, but healthy. I want to have the proper respect for food and exercise so that Rosalind can learn by my example.
I want to do this for me and my daughter. And it's been hard.
Reprograming always is. But I'm trying every day to look at what I'm eating as "What is healthy?", not "What will get me down to a size six?"
I'm sure I have room for improvement (after all, chocolate doesn't have it's own place on the food pyramid), but I also need to let myself screw up. Slow and steady isn't so bad.
So, ok, here I go. I'll start over tomorrow, tonight was a cheat night.

No comments:

Post a Comment