Thursday, August 12, 2010

Timing is everything

My first performance since Rosalind's been born will be tomorrow night for the "Eat my shorts" festival of short plays at the Open Circle (in case you'd like to attend).
What I'm discovering, however, is that I'm a little...well...frustrated with returning to acting. I've had no time to edit my book, and I'm really excited to do it; if you can believe I'm excited about editing. But for the first time a professional in the publishing business has been excited about the book and I have to trim the word count before sending it to her. So, I feel close to getting an agent at the very least but haven't had the time between my day job and getting ready for the play to do any editing.
Dan and I talked it over last night and he helped me find some clarity.
I do not believe I should give up acting, I love it far too much. But I think the timing was off a little to return to it. I'm going to finish the two other ten minute plays I'm cast in; which go up in October, and then take several months off to finish editing and send it out.
By the time TPS auditions come about I'm hoping to have the book finally and truly finished (at least until an editor gets a look at it!)
I've had a lot of questions in my head about doing both acting and writing. It's gonna be a challenge, but every time I think of choosing one or the other I get a stubborn jolt in the pit of my belly and I just can't. Some might call me stupid, they may caution that I will miss too much of Rosalind's life doing both and having a husband, etc. But I don't think so.
I can do this.
It will be hard, that's for sure, there will be challenges. But I have a wonderful husband who will help me, and I will help him. I'm very excited for him to pick up directing and possibly acting again in the future. For now he's content to develop and perhaps begin to do some creative producing; and I will support him as much as possible in that.
We never know until we try...until we really, with all our heart and soul try. There are limitations, but I guess I don't want to know the ceiling until I've smashed my head into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment